A few days after I thought I knew what I wanted, I read in the news that the Audubon Nature Institute (they own the zoo, aquarium, etc here) was going to rebuild the Louisiana Nature Center, 7 years after Katrina destroyed it.
It woke me up like a cold bucket of water poured over my head.
So a little bit of background.....I started volunteering at the Nature Center when I just turned 13 (I was really 12, they didn't know lol). It turned into my home away from home. This was the place I ran to when things got tough at home. I made life long friends that I talk to even now. I learned about Louisiana, the good and the bad. I learned about the animals and the environment....and why these things are so important. I didn't leave the Nature Center until after I moved to Florida to be with my husband, when I was 23.
I went to college before I had my oldest and my major was biology but I never did finish. Louisiana native wildlife has always been what I wanted to be involved in.
Ok back to the present.
After a lot of soul searching, I decided to go back to college for Environmental Biology.
I don't care if I work for Audubon or somewhere like Wildlife & Fisheries or a state park. I just know that I want to be on this path. A path I put to the side when I started a family. It's time to fight for this now that I have reclaimed my health.
So I applied and got accepted at the University of New Orleans (UNO)! I start this summer.
What does this mean for you? Nothing really except probably seeing how I juggle college, 3 kids with a traveling husband, eating healthy and exercising. Should be interesting ;)
Just thought I would update y'all on my plans.
Just thought I would update y'all on my plans.
